Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Iljimae


I wonder why everytime I'm watching Lee Junki's dramas, my urge to quickly finish the series and blog hastily is abnormal. It took me more than a week after watching Zettai Kareshi that I finally made an entry.


Back to Iljimae. It would definately remind you of Junki's previous drama, Time between wolf and dog. The storyline has clear similarities and both, unlike most Korean dramas which concentrates on the the romance side. Both Iljimae and Time between wolf and dog concentrates on Junki's martial arts. I could count the romantic scenes on one hand, but still the story line was gripping.


Sigh, I hate to admit this, I've a crush on Lee Junki.


Summary!

Set during the Joseon Dynasty, Ryung acts as a useless gangster in the marketplace by day but at night he is a chivalrous robber who robs corrupt government officials to give to the poor. After each robbery he leaves behind a wooden branch from a plum tree at the site of the robbery to take responsibility for the robbery. The poor citizens only know him as Iljimae. Bong Soon is a hilarious girl with good martial art skills and lives as a swindler. She only loves Ryung and sacrifices her whole life for him. Eun Chae is a government official's daughter and is good in nature and usually helps miserable people. She meets Iljimae once by chance, and their sweet love story begins. However, her love puts Iljimae in a dangerous situation because an Imperial Guard also loves her.


He is probably the best korean guy actor I've seen so far. I loved it when he was acting this good-for-nothing goofy and funny yong-ee, then serious and so brilliantly smart as Iljimae (the righteous burgler- think Robin Hood).


Han Hye Joo as Eun-chae, she acted in Spring Waltz which was one of my favourite Korean dramas, as much as I like her, her acting skills was not very outstanding. In fact, in Iljimae, I found her to be a very boring female lead- she was too perfect.


And! You'd get to see Kwon Sang Woo's wife in this drama. Though it was only for one episode.


Ratings: 8.5/10; only the non-existent ending and romance sucks.

No comments: